Saturday, June 5, 2010

"I'm making peas and carrots"

Although this is a classic combination of vegetables, I've never had the two together. I can't honestly say I've ever bought frozen peas but I was looking at a recipe for chicken pot pie on Food Network's website and peas and carrots were on my ingredient list. I drove to the supermarket for my weekly visit, with my shabby version of a menu. Forced to decide on an alternate dinner plan after I priced boneless skinless chicken breasts (EX-pensive), I was inspired by the frozen peas and got the idea of making some peas and carrots. I cooked these in a custom ratatouille spice blend I picked up at the Farmer's Market a few months ago, and some white cooking wine. The result was crisp, fresh, tasty veggies, although the amount of times I repeated "I'm making peas and carrots" as a song Sesame Street Style during diner prep nearly drove my partner batty!

No comments: